Finland’s national poet, Johan Ludvig Runeberg, his wife Fredrika and their sons moved to Porvoo in 1837, and to the house that now operates as their home museum in 1852.
This is Finland’s fi rst home museum, opened to the public in 1882. It was fully renovated in 2004. The works of art, the hunting weapons in the ketunnahkakamari (fox-skin room), and the porcelain in the cupboards all serve as excellent reminders of both the everyday and the social life of the family.
The chimes of the grandfather clock mark the passage of time, but Fredrika’s beloved plants still bloom throughout the house. In summer, the scents of roses, mock orange and fruit trees waft through the garden.