The local prison Vita Björn was built in 1784 and immediately put to use. It functioned as a prison for almost 200 years, until 1975.
One half of the house was used by the prison guard and his family while the other half wass split up into different cells. Originally there were only three cells but the two additional cells were built in the northern part of the building in 1839.
In the beginning of the 1980’s the building was restored to it’s original
look and the choice of materials and colors tried to imitate the original as close as possible. The prison reopened as the first real prison museum in Finland. The exhibition in the museum is chronologically arranged and shows the development within prisons from the end of the 1700’s to 1950.