The history of the Sjundby Manor dates back to year 1417. The present main building was built in the 1560’s by Jakob Henriksson. It was made of grey stone and had also a defensive purpose. Sjundby has been a residence for several noble families. The most well-known owner was Sigfrid Wasa, the daugher of the king Eric XIV. After her the Adlercreutz family owned Sjundby for over 300 years to the present. The only exception was between 1944-1956, when the Porkkala area was rented to Russians and used as a garrison.
Sjundby is one of the finest stone buildings in Finland. The castle is in private possession but is also open to visitors.