Savonlinna Cathedral was built between 1874 and 1878 and designed by architect Axel Hampus Dahlström in the Gothic Revival style. It has room for 1000 people.
In 1896 the new diocese of Savonlinna was founded and the Savonlinna church became a cathedral. In 1925 the bishop’s seat was moved to Vyborg, but the church still retained “cathedral” as its name.
Savonlinna was bombed and the church was damaged on the first of May 1940 during the Winter War. It was restored in 1947-1948 by architect Bertel Liljeqvist, and again in 1990-1991 by Ansu Ånström.