The factory, built by the founder of the Marttiini Knife Factory, Janne Marttiini, was opened in 1940. The building was designed by master builder Toikkanen. The building was partly destroyed in 1944 during the Second World War, but it was repaired right after the war. The factory, a prime example of functionalism, was completely renovated in 1998 and holds a historical building classification of A+, granted by the Provincial Museum. At present, the building is home to the Martiini Knife Exhibition, factory shop and a café.