The station was designed by architect Thure Hellström from the VR Group and built in 1935. Because of the depression in the 1930s, the station did not get a third floor, neither did it get a tower, as the Tampere railway station did. The plan of the station is rectangular and it has two floors. It is built of dark brown brick.
In 2006, the station was renovated. The ticket office was moved from the east side of the corridor to the west side, and the storage lockers and R-Kioski were removed from there, so that the ticket office is on the right-hand side when entering the station. The station restaurant is still in its original place on the east side of the station. The station platforms and the underpass tunnel of the west side of Vesijärvenkatu were also renovated. The renovation intended to make the station more efficient, when the more direct track from Helsinki to Lahti was opened on 1 September 2006.