The present stone church was built by C.L. Engel in 1851, and replaces the previous wooden churches that were destroyed by fire in 1837 and 1843. Like much of Engel’s architecture, Kymi Church was built in the Empire style. Artifacts from the previous churches can be seen here, like the chalice donated by Karl Henrik Wrangel in 1731, and the chandeliers, the oldest of which dates to 1790. The altarpiece, Jesus in Gethsemane, was painted by Berndt Godenhjelm in 1865. The bells were originally manufactured by the Pernaja Forsby Ironworks in 1736.