Anjala Manor belonged to the Wrede family from the early 16th century until 1837. The Wredes were members of Finland’s dominant noble class. Many of the members of the family were officers; many also worked within the culture sector and did significant charity work such as the even internationally known “friend of prisoners” Mathilda Wrede who lived at the turn of the 20th century. After Wrede family Anjala Manor has belonged to several different owners, and in the mid 19th century it was owned by Finland’s Governor General, Prince Alexander Menshikov.
Anjala Manor’s old main building was burnt in 1789 in a fire caused by Russian artillery. The current main building was built at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries in accordance with the then fashionable strict classical ideals. None of the original furniture still exist.
Anjala Manor was opened to the public as a museum in 1957. The aim of the furnished rooms is to give a glimpse of late 18th to late 19th century period’s historical style and way of life. The Manor also has a Mathilda Wrede room displaying items which are part of her life’s work.