There are 16 regional art museums in Finland. In addition to research, documenting and exhibition work, their task is to promote and guide art museum activities in their respective regions. The national museum for art museums is the Finnish National Gallery, which runs the Ateneum, Kiasma and Sinebrychoff art museums.
Belonging to the Finnish National Gallery, the Ateneum Art Museum in Helsinki houses the largest collections of art in Finland, from the Gustavian period of the mid 18th century to the modernist movements of the 1950s, and includes the best loved Finnish masterpieces. The museum also houses a handsome collection of international art, featuring works by such masters as Vincent van Gogh, Paul Gauguin, Paul Cézanne, Fernand Léger and Marc Chagall.
Located in the heart of Helsinki, and part of the Finnish National Gallery, the Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma is an open forum for the exchange of opinions and a continuous redefinition of art and culture. Kiasma's programme includes exhibitions presenting Finnish and international contemporary art, collection displays, performances in the Kiasma Theatre, workshops, seminars and lectures.
The third museum belonging to the Finnish National Gallery, Sinebrychoff Art Museum in Helsinki is the only museum in Finland which specialises in old European art. Finland's most valuable and internationally significant paintings of Old Masters are displayed here in a permanent collection which comprises about 20 private collections bequested to the museum.
Set up by the Espoo Art Museum Foundation in 2002, EMMA is located in the WeeGee building in the garden city of Tapiola in Espoo. With 5,000 square metres of exhibition space, it has the largest area of any museum in Finland.As well as displaying its own collections, which include the City of Espoo and the Saastamoinen Foundation Art collections, EMMA has changing exhibitions of contemporary and 20th century art from Finland and abroad.
The Saastamoinen Foundation Art collection comprises more than 1,900 works of Finnish classical modernism and contemporary art (Finnish and international), most of which are on permanent exhibition. The City of Espoo collection includes work on display in municipal offices, buildings, and in outdoor areas. Concentrating mostly on Finnish contemporary art, part of the collection is on display in the museum.
Playing a prominent part in the artisitic life of Turku since 1904, Turku Art Museum is now housed in a modern museum designed by architect Gustav Nyström, where it exhibits contemporay, modern and classical art from Finland, Scandanavia and the Baltic region. Its collection contains approximately 6,000 works, covering the period from the beginning of the 19th century up to the present day, as well as a selection of Scandanavian art from the 18th century up to today. There is also a collection of graphic art and drawings by Finnish and international artists.
Finnish expressionism from the beginning of the 20th century, the Prisma-group from the 1950s and 1960s, and the arts of Northern Finland are all well represented in the permanent collections of the Aine Art Museum in Tornio, where there are some 2,300 pieces on display. In addition to the basic collections, the museum hosts 4 to 5 temporary exhibitions annually, mostly from the field of visual arts but also from the fields of photography and industrial arts.
Maintained by the City of Tampere, the Sara Hildén Art Museum is the permanent home of the Sara Hildén Foundation's extensive collection of modern art. The collection is quite comprehensive, consisting of around 4,500 works which present a broad cross-section of the developments in modern art over the last 40 years. The museum also arranges temporary exhibitions which include prestigious overviews of international modernism.
OMA, the Oulu Museum of Art, which organises over 10 changing exhibitions, both old classics and modern art, annually. The emphasis in the collections is usually on Ostrobothnian and Nordic identities. The museum also hosts almost one hundred events and activities over the course of the year, including lectures, workshops, and performances related to the exhibitions.
Located in the centre of Imatra in the Cultural Centre, which also houses the Town Museum of Cultural History, the Imatra Art Museum was founded in 1951, largely through the efforts of Jari Sihtola, a Chartered Engineer who accumulated a considerable art collection over the course of his life. The exhibition areas feature permanent collections and temporary displays. The art collection housed in the Museum consists of works owned by the City of Imatra and the Imatra Art Society, totalling over 1400 items. The focus of the collection is on 20th century Finnish art.
The Ostrobothnian Museum presented its first exhibition in 1896 in temporary premises. Today, the museum is housed in a building designed by the architect Eino Forsman, and has around 10,000 works in its collections. There are four main collections housed here, the largest of which is Hedman's Art Collection, which contains Finnish art approximately from the year 1870-1930 as well as foreign art mainly from the Netherlands and Italy from the 15th-17th centuries. The Ostrobothnian Museum's Collection complements Hedman's collection. It contains both contemporary and regional art. It also contains art that the Finnish savings bank acquired for the former province of Vaasa and a collection from the Nelin-Cronström's art home. The Collection of the City of Vaasa consists of art that has been acquired for the City's premises and public spaces. The collection has been assembled from the 1970's onward. In addition to domestic art, this collection contains foreign works of art. Finally, the Vaasa Art Association's Collection containing works by Helene Schjerfbeck, Ester Helenius, Frans Hiivanainen, Wäinö Aaltonen, and Arvi Mäenpää, among others.
A specialist museum in Helsinki, DesignMuseo selects and maintains a design collection, and is responsible for research and documentation in its field, and for holding exhibitions on design history and contemporary products. The museum also organizes international exhibitions on Finnish art and design. DesignMuseo was founded in 1873 as a study collection for the arts and crafts school. It has operated in its current premises, a building designed in 1894 by architect Gustaf Nyström, since 1978.