Alatornio Church

The Alatornio Church, of neoclassical style, dates back to 1797. There probably stood a wooden church in its place already in 1208; however, and most definitely, according to researched data, from the beginning of the 1300’s. From the remnants of the medieval church built in 1400 – 1500 there remains the eastern cross arm opposite the main entrance in the current church. The church functioned as part of the Struve Geodetic Arc in the 1700’s, and is protected as the Unesco World Heritage Site.

Kirkonmäentie 85
95450 FI
Get directions